OS X port of the awesome gqrx SDR software [Update 07/01/2013]

A while ago I already managed to compile gqrx on OS X, but then Alexandru Csete decided to move on to a new audio backend called pulseaudio. Sadly there is no proper pulseaudio port for OS X. Thus I bring you my branch of gqrx 2.1 which runs quite well on OS X.

This release bundles all the rtl-sdr, gr-osmosdr, GNU Radio, libUSB, boost and Qt dependencies allowing it to work out of the box. Though feel free to contact me in case you encounter problems. It has been reported to run fine on Snow Leopard (10.6), OS X Lion (10.7), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and OS X Mavericks (10.9). Sadly Leopard (10.5) isn’t supported due to Apple breaking binary compatibility on 64bit binaries for some reason.

Download the ready to use DMG/APP here:
gqrx_8.dmg – (07/01/2013) Latest GIT. Some people are reporting FFT issues with this build, in case you encounter those try the one below and leave a comment.

Old versions:
gqrx_7.dmg – (02/03/2013) Up to date with GIT. I’ve added a deadlock prevention feature in case your settings keep gqrx from starting up properly. After a crash/forced-close it asks you whether you want to reset all your settings to default. This should help you guys with invalid rtl_tcp settings and the like. I have also fixed rtl_fm to now properly work on OS X (It used to only output noise), as well as multimonNG which now supports umlauts for POCSAG decoding. So check out the bundled command-line utilities! :) (e.g. /Applications/Gqrx.app/Contents/MacOS/rtl_test -t)

gqrx_6.dmg – Latest (01/16/2013) updates from GIT, yet again. This time I also packaged some command-line utilities (multimonNG rtl_adsb rtl_eeprom rtl_fm rtl_sdr rtl_tcp rtl_test) together with Gqrx. rtl_fm seems to be broken on OS X, yet we’re still triaging the bug. It would be great if you could try it and report whether it works for you. (http://kmkeen.com/rtl-demod-guide/index.html) I am considering packaging up the whole of gnuradio including the companion GUI if there is demand.
gqrx_5.dmg (Latest updates from GIT, supports adjusting the FFT resolution which should fix the pink curtain problem. The zoom slider has been removed from upstream, yet you can still zoom by using the mouse wheel on the axes.)
gqrx_4.dmg (GNU Radio component has now been compiled with “-DTRY_SHM_VMCIRCBUF=OFF”, this should hopefully fix the shared memory problem some of you have encountered. Please report whether it works now.)
gqrx_3.dmg (Rebased to the zoom branch. Credit goes to vpelletier for the awesome patch!)

Pan: left-click on X-axis labels & drag horizontally
Pan (alternative): Mouse wheel on X-axis labels, faster pan with Shift held and slower pan with Ctrl held.
Change central frequency: middle-click on X-axis labels & drag horizontally
Zoom: slider on FFT panel

gqrx_2.dmg (Updated gr-osmosdr and fixed a crash when disabling demod.)
gqrx.dmg

PS:
The screenshot was taken in direct sampling mode, that’s why I was able to receive 0-2.4mhz. I’ll probably blog about my modded dongle soon.

Software licenses:
Gqrx
Qt
multimonNG
boost
gr-osmosdr
rtl-sdr
GNU Radio
FFTW
PortAudio
libusb

175 Comments

1. I just took my test today and I got my Tech license — I got into this for the SDR stuff and competing. I want to help you test or do anything I can. Feel free to contact me.

Thanks for the great work.

2. i see you have afsk1200 decoder any updates on other multimode-ng implementations
    demod_afsk12.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_afsk24.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_afsk24_2.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_afsk24_3.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_ccir.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_clipfsk.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_display.c Substituted u_int with unsigned int to avoid posix dependencies 5 months ago
    demod_dtmf.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_poc5.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_pzvei.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_ufsk12.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_zvei1.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago
    demod_zvei2.c MORSE_CW demod, integer math and gen-ng 6 months ago

greetings from belgium

3. Hi, I tried to install the most recent and the one before that version of GQRX and I am getting a message that it will not run on my type of mac. I don’t understand as ~I thought my machine would be powerful enough for sdr. Maybe it is asking a bit much of my machine but am I doing anything wrong?. It is a 1.83 GHz Dual Core with 2GB of ram. The OS is Snow Leopard. Please let me know if it can. I am pretty new to OSX.

4. Hi!
    I’ve just started trying to use your port with the NooElec R820T but I received an error message with both versions 7&8.

I’m running on osx10.9.2 a macbook with 2.7ghz i7processor.
    Here’s the specifics to the application exception:

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
    Exception Codes: 0×0000000000000000, 0×0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
    terminating with uncaught exception of type boost::filesystem::filesystem_error: boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: “/Users/Zack/.gnuradio”
    abort() called

hope you can help out as I’d love to try out your port and not have to dualboot

5. I’ve had lots of problems using Brew and MacPorts to get working gnuradio. I’m most interested in using gnuradio-companion as I’d like to decode AIS signals. You mentioned in your blog post you’d consider a full package for gnuradio with the companion, can I request that you consider it?

On a separate note, I am unable to record audio as GQRX crashes each time, and the build you have compiled does not contain the network element as I would quite like to stream the audio to process using aismon on Windows if I cannot find a suitable OSX package.

Thank you for your contribution, I’m really enjoying toying with SDR

6. Is there any chance of a bundled build of the latest snapshot?

I’ve been trying the Macports route with little success, mostly as it breaks the setup I need for work, which is tied heavily to Homebrew, so finding your bundles was great – but the problem I have needs verification on the latest snapshot before I start reporting bugs to Alex.